inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Saturday, October 27, 2018

extending comfort, dear readers, on a rough day


"And I think it’s served me really well, because this moment has felt like darkness for years now, as a woman, as a person of color, as a patriot, as someone who loves this country. It’s felt like darkness. And my now-dear friend, Valerie Kaur, gave this beautiful speech on New Year’s Eve, after the election in 2016. And she said something like, “What if this is not the darkness of the tomb, but the darkness of the womb, and America is a country waiting to be birthed, and we are being called to breathe and to push?” And it changed the whole context of the darkness I was feeling, and I thought, I can do this. I know how to do this. I know how to grope in the dark without a road map. And so that’s the element that is with me right now, in this time."
 -America Farrara, from a conversation with Krista Tippet and John Paul Lederach via an On Being podcast titled How Change Happens, In Generational Time.  To listen to the entire piece, click here.

Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.
On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.
-Arundhati Roy

Please be sure that you are registered to vote, and then go to the polls and roar!

#persist
#resist

9 comments:

  1. Thank you! Voted yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another difficult day -- thank you for the encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my words, but I am happy to share them with you. xo

      Delete
  3. "not the darkness of the tomb but the darkness of the womb" 24 hours after reading this, it still resonates, vibrates, shakes my gut. How amazing is this altered perspective! a circulation of healing energy, not an exhaustion of same. This will keep me going for a while, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I encourage you to listen to the whole podcast. It's riveting. xo

      Delete
  4. Here in Australia, it is compulsory to vote. When I was young, I used to think it was all a bit of a pain, now I'm older, I am thankful that's it law.

    ReplyDelete