inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, December 7, 2018

kooser, rope bowls and tea

Oh friends, this was the view on my way down the hill just after sunrise. The "snow ghosts" were swirling across the road along the ridge. It was 20 degrees and dropping. The low temperature overnight is forecast to be -2, with single digits for a low most of next week. This really is an early and fierce winter season...and it's not even really winter yet. 

This week's Kooser poems have been especially lovely. I thought of him as I rose from bed the other day and spotted my old favorite, Orion perched on the top of the Green Mountains. Have you been enjoying Winter Morning Walks
Our VTMQG is in the midst of a rope bowl frenzy. At our last meeting, one of our members showed us how to make them. Our holiday gathering is coming up, complete with a gift swap for those who want to participate. We've been invited to make a rope bowl, put a small gift in it, wrap it and bring it to our meeting on Sunday. I've wanted to try crafting a rope bowl for ages, and so I took advantage of the incentive. They are addictive and a bit meditative at the same time! I am still struggling a bit with how to incorporate a bit of fabric here and there, but I shall persevere. Members have been posting pictures on Instagram...our president has made cat sized bowls for her kitties to nap in.

You can find all sorts of tutorials for rope bowls online, and lots of fun inspiration if you check #ropebowl on Instagram. Let me know if you have made one, or if you try one son. :-)
In the self care department (in December don't you think this is especially important?) I've been brewing an old favorite anti-inflammatory tea. It is really delicious.
  1. Boil 2 cups of water
  2. Add 1/4 tsp each of whole cumin, coriander, and fennel seeds
  3. Cover and continue to slow boil for 5-10 minutes
  4. Remove from heat and let cool to a comfortable drinking temperature
  5. If desired, add raw honey to taste (Do not add raw honey to boiling hot water)
(With thanks to Marie Frohlich and a workshop she gave on anti-inflammatory tips at a NOFA-VT conference a few years ago.)

Hope you have a fine weekend, friends. Be gentle with yourselves and those around you. This can be a challenging time of year to keep our equilibrium. xo

2 comments:

  1. just a thought or two about these lovely rope bowls...
    a blank slate for indigo or tansy baths? a bit of a buttoned loop at the rim so they could become yarn bowls? a Maggie B "basket" to hold her bits and bobs while visiting, perhaps her monogram embroidered on the side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such great ideas! I tried soaking a small bowl in leftover tansy dye, but I think I may need to scour the rope first. I will definitely be trying other dyes next summer! And over on Instagram I noticed that you had a premonition of the birch bark I used. :-)

      Delete