inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Sunday, July 26, 2020

"deep in my heart"




Our Vermont Modern Quilt Guild issued a challenge recently, inviting us to "create a project that is inspired by a song, represented through lettering, collage, images, abstract, or whatever else speaks to you".

I had been going “deep in my heart” to recommit to learning more about the many ways BIPOC and LGBTQIA people are oppressed. I set out to do slow stitching while I listened to podcasts, documentaries and interviews. The richness and depth of appreciation I have found in this listening is inspiring. Real change will happen when we fold the brilliance and wisdom of ALL people into our solutions. And now, I have a sense of urgency. I am increasingly unhappy when I hear the “someday” at the end of the beloved hymn We Shall Overcome. Honestly, change needs to happen sooner rather than later.

The letters were hand appliquéd, with cotton I hand dyed with marigolds. Background, machine quilted on fabric I hand dyed with fresh indigo. The marigolds and indigo were grown here, on land once walked by Abenaki. 

I recently listened to Krista Tippet's interview with John Lewis, which first aired on March 23, 2013 and has been offered again as the civil rights icon is being remembered for all that he did in his fine lifetime. You can watch a YouTube of the conversation here.  I was reminded that this work does not happen quickly, it is in fact, a practice, an ongoing process that takes commitment and dedication. 

And so, I need to readjust my attitude. Set aside the urgency and unhappiness. Take a few deep breaths and remember to put my head down and lean into the work with more dedication than ever.

Have you seen the amazing photo of John Lewis, resting under some gorgeous quilts? Be sure to read the caption if you head over there.  I have no more words to add.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment