inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Saturday, July 11, 2020

sentimental scissors


My Mumsie gifted these stork embroidery to me when I was still a girl. They've been treasured ever since.

Rumor has it that stork scissors have an interesting history involving midwives doing handwork while waiting with expectant mothers, and then later, using the scissors to cut the umbilical cord. Who knew?

I found the very affordable aqua snips at 168 Asian Market in Madison Heights MI last year while visiting Detroit. Lindsey, Hannah and I had such fun shopping together! I saw the snips and popped them into my basket along with some fabulous teas. I realized later that I probably could not take them on the plane, and so Lindsey kindly mailed them to me. I'm sure the postage was more than the price of the snips. But sometimes we do silly things. And I am so glad she did. Every time I use the snips I think of the fun we had that afternoon.

I rarely post selfies here, but in the spirit of celebrating happier times with my girls, I'll share this here... Hannah snapped us celebrating the abundance of tea options and posted it in her stories on Instagram.
I have scissors that belonged my paternal grandmother and I have scissors I bought at Gather Here. Each pair connects me to a person or time that brings me joy. How lucky am I?

I'm guessing you may have sentimental treasures tucked away in your sewing basket, or maybe in your kitchen drawers. Are you finding them to be especially dear to you as we continue to hunker in?
Let me know!

I'm looking forward to bringing you more distractions.
And interesting links.
And hope and ideas for action.

xo

1 comment:

  1. On my bookshelf, actually: a book of Mom's (who died this past February) that I've read and re-read so many times over the years that the spine has severed and the book is now held together with string.

    ReplyDelete