inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Saturday, July 21, 2012

sanctuary from the news

From the art and antiques fair...found this morning, one thousand origami paper cranes, framed under glass. Serendipitous balm for my frayed soul (terrorism does not seem to have a nationality or religion, perhaps it is a reflection of the anguish and insanity in the heart of our human family?).
In the mail...a thoughtful, handcrafted note, packet of spinach seeds and bar of handmade Gardener's Soap (Mari Botanicals) from my sweet blogging friend, Sharon. Sharon and I are both working on rural dreams...she's a few steps ahead of me, and I love to see her progress. She is one of my favorite cheerleaders. :-)  
In the garden...the 2012 garlic harvest. Enough to make braids for loved ones near and far.
In the house...uncomplicated, simple corners---laundry drying on the line---tea brewing in a mason jar in the sun---the smell of freshly mown hay---the welcome chill that creeps in the open windows at night.
In the window...Henry and his pal Javier, on woodchuck patrol.

In my reading...check out the next book here

I am so glad we do not have TV reception up here on the ridge. I haven't even been listening to the radio as much, becoming distressed when I do. Where do you find refuge, dear readers, from the ravages of modern life? Please leave a comment. I will appreciate reading what you have to say. Thanks! xo 

10 comments:

  1. Starting with the paper cranes and ending with the cats, this is balm for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    Thank you for the kind words.
    Your post today is full of grace filled simple things which bring light in times of darkness. But I would suggest you'll be delighted to add another when you are at your bit of earth to stay...Chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My refuge is a warm day with a breeze, windows open, engrossed in a project - anything - cleaning the house, making a design, thinking. I'm rediscovering the solace of slowing down and experiencing silence.
    Love your thoughtful photos, Sharon's sweetness and the paper cranes. I just took a mini course in making them last week!!! ( I was a klutz!! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. counting my many blessings, and having ultimate faith in the power of prayer...
    tqoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is sad to hear the news.... I tend to stay away because I often end with a heavy heart. I turn to my books when I feel this way, take a walk, hug my children, and indulge in a lounge in the hammock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thousand paper cranes!!!!!! I would love to have them... And the picture of your cats, mediating ...... GREAT

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are on holiday with no TV (although I do have interent access I am trying hard not to spend too much time on here) we are enjoying the break from the outside world.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I'm too caught up in my head, I just insert myself in what the kids are doing and am usually welcome. They are so in the moment that I often can't help but be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thankful that I was completely removed from the news last week while on retreat at the ashram, and since returning home I've tried to bring some of that seclusion (ok, a lot of it) back with me. I'll continue to take refuge in my practices, more this year than ever. They're a refuge from what's going on "out there" as well as from the myriad of emotions and longing going on internally.

    ReplyDelete