inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Thursday, April 8, 2010

bygone loveliness

This was my Great Aunt Addie's book.
Its front page, written in lovely script reads,
"Miss A. D. Billings. Merry Christmas 1896, Frederick W. Swan".
Published by F. Warne and Co., the cover is embossed 
and the page edges are gilded.
(Warne and Co. also published my beloved Beatrix Potter's books).

Did you know that snowdrops represent a friend in need, and hope, too?
The crocus, cheerfulness, and hope as well.
Buttercups represent both riches, and memories of childhood.
Lily of the valley, the return to happiness.

These past few days have been steeped in blossoms, 
sunshine and unusual warmth.
It's been a bit intoxicating!

9 comments:

  1. Oh I love your book...
    and sentiments about the flowers
    so charming....
    I love this kind of thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lovely blog. I loved your great-aunt's book. How fortunate you are to have it still -- and in such great condition. Your family must be a loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that snowdrops represent hope.

    Please send some of that warmth this way. It's very cold and dreary here in IL!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lily of the valley is my favorite flower. They disappeared from my yard a few years ago, but this season I picked up several bags of corms (?) rhizomes (?) rootstock (?) whatever the seed equivalent is. (I should know that. . . another senior moment) Now I truly must go out this weekend and plant.
    blessings,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! I'm going to have to pay better attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing treasure you have there! I can just imagine sitting in the garden with such a book - lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, it's me again! Just wanted to let you know I tagged you for the Sunshine blog award:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Karen, by stopping by and leaving a comment. Hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen - Shelby and I were just talking about this book! What a treasure you have - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete