inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, June 11, 2010

just catching up a bit


wild indigo
Thought I'd give a quick update... 

Hannah and I had a most fun-filled road trip out to Indiana and back. My board meetings were full, rigorous and productive. I am truly honored to do this good work with fine people. Had some fun catching up with old friends, and attended Meeting on Sunday morning. My friends Nancy and Rich were my warm hearted hosts once again, and I always love being called "Auntie Karen" by their kitties. Hannah spent time with buddies who are still on campus, doing summer research and working. On Sunday afternoon we drove east to Ohio and spent Monday morning at the boarding school where she'll be teaching in the fall. I was happy to see the campus, and we got a peek at what will become her small apartment in the girl's dorm. We had a L-O-N-G drive home, getting in around 10:30PM.

Meanwhile, Gretta flew back East from her first year in college in IL,(we waved to her in the sky!). She and Batman had projects here in CT that they were busy with. Check out the chipper over at her blog.

Early on Tuesday morning, I took Gretta to the oral surgeon to have 3 wisdom teeth pulled. Hannah and I have been spoiling her with milkshakes and grilled cheese sandwiches on squishy white bread (ew!). A few of her friends from high school came over yesterday to cheer her up, and I think they helped her turn the corner. She's a lot more perky and back to herself today.

Hannah is sorting through her life's belongings, trying to cull stuff for Goodwill and recycling. She's sanded a dresser from "the Reed childhood collection" and is painting it a sassy purple/raspberry color. She's having fun envisioning her new, very own digs.

Lindsey just got word that in July, she'll be traveling with a delegation from work to Guatemala! She is very psyched. And she'll be turning 26 on Sunday. Of course, this has me stunned. I don't mind getting a few years older, but it blows me away when it happens to my kids.

Stew and Dawn are plugging away out in Oregon. Stew started a wonderful google document that we are all adding to...the hopes and dreams we have about a possible shared future in Vermont, someday.
Very cool stuff.

Batman and I were tickled to find this bottle of wine on the kitchen counter when we came home from our anniversary dinner Wednesday night. Hannah and Gretta are just so sweet.

The carpet for the new studio will be installed next week. I am beyond exasperated with this slow moving project, but I have let my expectations go, I've been taking deep breaths, and it will be done when it gets done, right? And I will love it! 

I stewed some rhubarb from the CT gardens yesterday, I've got some sun tea brewing and I'll be making a big batch of granola this afternoon. And this morning our handsome young fox was back. For better or worse, I love catching sight of his cute face.

Well, that's a bit more than I usually share about my family.  I just love them, and I feel so blessed to have the two youngest with us for a bit. I don't like to take anything for granted. That's when life gets downright dangerous.

Happy Friday! Any good plans for the weekend?

3 comments:

  1. You are truly blessed with your family.
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    SO nice to read about the love, support, dedication, spirit and accomplishments of your wonderful family.
    Can't wait to see photos of your completed studio and what you create in it!!
    xoxJudy

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing. it was fun to read and get this little glimpse. you never seem like you take things for granted, esp your family.
    i would love to see your daughter's bureau creation, it sounds super jazzy fun!

    ReplyDelete