inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Sunday, March 13, 2011

vegan adventure-week one


This week's distressing news has reminded me that I sometimes find sanctuary in my kitchen. Thanks to the  cookbooks written by Buddhist  monk, Edward Espe Brown, I learned in my young adulthood that preparing food with love and attention is a devotional act. Being fully present to the task and appreciating the colors, textures and possibilities in the ingredients can bring a simple peace to work in the kitchen. Preparing food with intention for those who have gathered around my table is a way I can fill every bite with love.

Of course, in the fray of everyday life, sometimes I forget this. But this week, I found myself relaxing back into an energizing rhythm of thoughtful food preparation. Because I put great stock in coincidences I doubt it was random chance that Heather's 30 Day Vegan Workshop began this week. Heather's fabulous, simple recipes and gentle encouragement have been a salve for the rawness that this week has brought. The thread of comments on the workshop's blog have built a community of fellow travelers. This is just what I have needed.

I have become re-aquainted with the grain family and our fridge has been filled with gorgeous fruits and vegetables, even a brand new one, daikon. By Thursday, I finally screwed up the courage to try a green smoothie for breakfast...raw kale, fruits and a dash of maple syrup, whirled in the blender. Surprisingly delicious. I was reluctant to give up yogurt on my granola, but almond milk is a delightful substitute. I had never used coconut oil before, nor gomasio as a seasoning. I have an ever-ready pitcher of water in our fridge, with a few slices of lemon floating at the top (something I have done in the past, but lost track of...). My treat out in the world was a soy latte, another lovely taste surprise.

I have not had any cravings, altho Batman has confessed to missing his afternoon cookie break at work. We are loving the tastiness of the food, and the few dropped pounds (after just one week!).  So far, so good.

Both cooking and eating mindfully have been true blessings this week. And we continue our practice of holding hands and sharing a moment of silence, filled with gratitude, before we pick up our forks. It seems even more important right now.

And so, the journey is unfolding...

6 comments:

  1. you know my stand on coincidences as well...

    reed, you've always been aware of living with intention (it's one of the things i love most about you) and this exciting venture is yet another avenue of encouragement to the rest of us who often simply go through our days with our heads down
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a wonderful experience so far
    but I don't think I would or could do the smoothie in the morning...
    but the above plate looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you well on this new journey, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the kitchen never fails to bring peace and solace. Green smoothies are one of the few things I can stomach for breakfast:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if you saw this article in the Times this week...http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/going-vegan-for-lent/?src=me&ref=health

    I'm about to make kitcheri for dinner - definitely a vegan dish!

    ReplyDelete