inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, January 4, 2019

green mountain glove








A week before Christmas, Batman and I went down the hill to visit Green Mountain Glove, a company that was founded in 1920, nearly a hundred years ago. Sam Hooper, the young man who recently purchased the company from the original family, was gracious enough to give us a tour of the building. 

Dear readers, I wish there was a scratch and sniff option for blogging. When we walked into the factory, I smelled the warm layers of years of production. It was a nostalgic scent. The well worn wooden floors and steps had a gorgeous patina that glowed in the morning sunlight. The place seems frozen in time, (except for a few of the brand new industrial machines Sam has brought in to increase the efficiency of the sewers.) Some of the glove patterns were drawn on the backs of vintage cereal boxes. Did you spot the thread holders in the second to last picture...made from the cut off bottoms of milk cartons? #yankeethrift

Sam has been busy upgrading the energy efficiency of the old building, which sits along the train tracks on the outskirts of town. There's not much that makes me happier than seeing young folks investing in their communities and bringing new energy to old crafts. These gloves, made here in Vermont, are coveted by workers on Boston's MBTA, and electrical linemen and farmers all over the country. Specialty gloves are made for different tasks and can be custom made from the tracing of one's hand.

Batman and I each got a pair from Santa this year and I'm pretty sure they will outlive us! 

To read more about Sam and his venture, look here.

“My grandfather wore these gloves. My mother and father wear these gloves. When I put them on, I know I am part of something special.”
— SAM HOOPER, OWNER, GREEN MOUNTAIN GLOVE

8 comments:

  1. Nice to learn there are still some companies in this country that are making quality products. Looks like those Pfaff sewing machines are still going strong. Interesting take on the wooden chair being supported with the twine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That twine repair is pretty typical of Yankee thrift. My dad used to fix chairs in a very similar way, but with wire. :-)

      Delete
  2. I really like how this turned out. The color inspiration is great. And yes, I like turquoise and aqua too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome, Karen! Those must be some fine gloves and I love the fact that custom gloves can be made from a hand tracing. I would love to take that tour one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just give me a holler. I'll run the vacuum, clean the bathroom and make up the bed in the guest room!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete