inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Thursday, February 6, 2020

mending with the girls

I bought this LLBean barn jacket for Batman in 1997 (I think). He wears it A LOT. I have mended it several times. See here. Earlier this week, I machine stitched patches along both frayed cuffs, using scraps of  brown canvas. I also hand stitched some patches on the worn and frayed inseams of the sleeves. I sewed two reinforced patches and reattached two buttons on the front placket.
I am not necessarily endorsing an LLBean product, but I am advocating for buying things of quality if you are able to. This jacket is about 23 years old, and it is still Batman's favorite. It's got a plaid woolen button-in liner for days when the canvas alone does not provide enough warmth. And this gem of a jacket shows no signs of letting us down.

My longtime blogging friend Paula has also been mending an LLBean barn jacket, which tickled me. I'm wondering if some of us are mending metaphorically too...given what has been happening to our democracy this week. If only a needle and thread could solve those problems. *sigh*
Paula is a big fan of kitties, and she asked about Corazón and Wilma, so I am adding a few photos of "the girls" here. I think they were watching Batman in the kitchen (above, on the back of the sofa).
They often catch a patch of sunshine together, sharing the ottoman. And of course, they are always ready to "help" me in my sewing studio.
We are in the midst of quite the winter storm, and this morning Wilma and Cora were keeping a close eye on the feeders, which have been swarming with birds all day.

I have been searching for words of comfort this week, dear readers. I'm not sure I have ever felt so challenged as I do right now. Our Gretta sent this quote to our family chat this week, "To kids who are confused about what's going on, let me help you understand: Death Eaters are completely in control of the Ministry" -Brain Joseph McElhaney

We need Dumbledore's Army now more than ever.

xo

2 comments:

  1. They're so sweet. Yes, definitely need the DA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the beautiful pictures of your girls. And it's very inspiring to see the mending you've done on Batman's barn coat.

    ReplyDelete