inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Saturday, February 1, 2020

triptych #47, blue and yellow version



Sometimes things come into our lives just when we need them most.

Check out the newest member of the On Being family, Poetry Unbound.  From the website..."Your new ritual: Immerse yourself in a single poem, guided by Pádraig Ó Tuama*. Short and unhurried; contemplative and energizing. Anchor your week by listening to the everyday poetry of your life, with new episodes on Monday and Friday during the season."

And from Krista's newsletter..."Full confession: I don’t read poetry all the time. For me at least, words that tell the raw truth, however unadorned or beautifully rendered, hurt a bit going in. I’ve noticed that I can inhale poetry like a lifeline when I am completely wrecked — or when I am whole and strong. Right now, and as I look inward at my life and out at our world, I feel equal parts both."

Poetry is my scripture, sacred text that grounds me. As the very foundations of democracy are mocked and ignored by the current administration in Washington D.C. I have reached for Mary Oliver, Wendell Berry and many of their friends on my poetry bookshelf. More than once this past week, I have had a sharp intake of breath, a teary eye and a good chuckle, all thanks to the thoughtful words of poets. I look forward to adding a new ritual to my days, listening to Poetry Unbound.

I loved baker's little acre's comment about silence on my last post, indeed this winter has been wreathed in quiet, if we but seek it. And now, as we step into February, with winter digging in her heels, there will be lots of simple projects around here. Check back often if you'd like to follow along.

*Pádraig Ó Tuama is a poet, theologian, and conflict mediator. He was the former leader of Corrymeela, Ireland’s oldest peace and reconciliation organization.

1 comment:

  1. Love the blues and yellows. Need to get my daffodils out of the fridge!

    ReplyDelete