inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

puttering about

 When I woke up this morning, I thought it was a foggy start.
Then I put my glasses on and realized it was snowing.
 Later I noticed that the sunlight, creeping around the side of the house,
was creating a sharp line of melting.
 That Mother Nature, she is cool beans.
 In between legislative zoom calls and
conference calls with the hospital,
Batman has been keeping busy with
fun projects around the house.
I have been wanting a window box under the windows of
The windows crank outwards,
so a box tucked under the sill is not practical.
Count on Batman to come up with a solution.
We brought this cedar window box with us from the house in CT.
Batman crafted a stand made of downed birch branches
collected here on the property.
I can't wait til it's warm enough to plant it full of flowers!
It gets morning sun, but most of the day it's in shade.
Any suggestions? 


I have a book stand for my cookbooks,
but I also use lots of recipe cards, 
recipes pulled from magazines and printed from the internet.
 I sometimes become exasperated when they flop over,
or flutter off the counter.
The other day I pulled out my toolbox and
screwed a brass cup hook into
the windowsill at eye level.
I found a paper clamp and hung it from the hook.
Voila!
Such a very simple solution. 
You can find the recipe for Leek, Celeriac and Potato Soup here.
Sometimes it's the simple, easy projects that
can provide shelter in these odd days.
My dad called time spent this way as "puttering about".

And hey Vicki...
tomorrow I'll be back to explain how
I sewed the paper onto the cover of our "staying home" book.

Hang in there friends!

2 comments:

  1. The window boxes look beautiful. They are predicting 6-10 inches of snow for us tonight. Looking forward to your post on how you sewed paper on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll love your window boxes! I added planters to the back of our house last year and they were one of my favorite garden projects ever! They might be in a similar situation to yours with morning sun and plenty of shade. I planted coleus, fuchsia and a little white flowered euphorbia (I knew from growing them in the past that they would be in constant bloom without any care at all). The planters ended up looking great all season long. The bees, especially loved the coleus flowers and the hummingbirds visited the fuchsia. I shared an early photo of one of the planters in this blog post: https://www.mygiantstrawberry.com/blog/in-the-garden-lately/2019/6/14 and the opposite one at the end of the season in this blog post: https://www.mygiantstrawberry.com/blog/2019-year-in-review-and-thoughts-about-a-decade

    What a great idea for your printed recipes. Mine always end up getting spilled on when they're on the counters. Haha!

    ReplyDelete