inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, April 17, 2009

hands

I have been thinking about hands a lot lately. I've been blasting Hootie and the Blowfish's "Hold My Hand" when I'm alone in the car. Reminds me of our summer of '94 (annual) road trip back home to IL from the kids' summer camp in VT.
With a little love, and some tenderness
We'll walk upon the water
We'll rise above this mess
With a little peace and some harmony
We'll take the world together
We'll take them by the hand

cause I've got a hand for you
cause I wanna run with you
Hold my hand...want you to hold my hand...



Lovely Spirit in Practice class last night. At the end of each session, we stand in a circle. One person starts by turning to the person next to them, taking their hand, looking into their face and saying, "I take your hand in my hand, so that together we might do what I cannot do alone". That person takes the next person's hand and so on, till we are all holding hands. A very nice way to head home...

I had an idea for a wall hanging and sketched it out in the late 80's, and began work on pieces of it then. Inspired by a quote from Shakespeare's King Henry the Sixth: 
Now join your hands, and with your hands, your hearts.
Now that I have finished and delivered what I am calling "Imagine More", (the theme of the school's auction, see quilt below), I want to revisit the Shakespeare idea. Perhaps I can use what I started with in the 80's and bring it into the present.


It was hard to let this one go...

And remember that many hands make light work.

Happy weekend!

6 comments:

  1. congratulations on finishing the quilt for Gretta's school...it's beautiful! i love your idea for your next quilt. Another one of my favorite hearts/hands quotes is from the Shakers "Hands to Work. Hearts to God"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago when my mentor teacher retired I made a heart block for her going-away quilt; around the heart I wrote "With every hand you hold, you hold a heart." She was a kindergarten teacher, so she held a lot of hands -- and hearts during her long career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing I'm not going to that auction - I'd bid high! I especially love the words crispness - I remember you used scrapbook letters for templates - how did you attach them? It's also inspiring to know that ideas from 2 decades ago can still come to life - can't wait to see!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your quotes with the hands theme have really struck a chord in me. I'm going to share them with some loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all, for your comments. I love the additional quotes. And it's neat that "hands" resonated with all of you, too.

    Deb, look here for the technique I used to do the letters. sewandsowlife.blogspot.com/2009/03/success.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post and your quilt turned out beautifully!!
    What beautiful quotations!!

    ReplyDelete