inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

a new year

These beauties are from Peter.  His card was "cheesy" as he put it. But that's why I love him. And Gretta gave me the BEETS.

So I am a happy girl. And this morning I worked on my annual road map for the coming year. This one is called, "the next grand adventure", reflecting the transition I am making from one stage of life to another. It's covered with words and phrases and arrows and question marks. Like, "get my stuff out in the world" and "what is the message I want my work to articulate?", and "take risks by submitting article proposals and enter magazine challenges and maybe a show?" And "document progress". Work I am feeling more excited about than afraid of. This is a very good shift in the order of things.

Have any of you made such a shift? In any aspect of your life?
And, look, I am putting the binding on today! I'm lovin' this quilt and it may be hard to drop it off tomorrow. I hope it will bring in some good  bucks for the auction at Gretta's school.

P.S. I've been rockin' out to Neil Young's new album Fork in the Road. He's grey and grizzled and as fine as ever.

P.P.S. There's still time to put your name in for the giveaway.

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Karen! Your annual road map sounds like an excellent idea! I'm eager to see the completed quilt...i love the colors and the design. Now that my income taxes are finally done, i can do some sewing to get ready for quilt retreat (next weekend! a simultaneous "eek i'm not ready!" and "yay i can't wait!")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy B-Day from me too! Yet another similarity between us - I take my January B-day at the arboretum & reflect on the past year, then write up hopes/dreams/plans for the next one. I love the title of roadmap! It looks like ours might intersect someday:)

    Love to you on your special day,

    Deb D-W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shift? Standing on quicksand myself...

    I truly think that the greatest personal growth occurs when we reach out and attempt something that scares us, when we get uncomfortable and out of our comfort zones. I wasn't going to "do" a word this year (it seemed like everyone was picking one in January to work toward for the year), but then the word Leap picked me.

    Here's to leaps and transitions into the unknown and untested!

    PS: and isn't that the best thing to be when you're grey and grizzled? Just as fine as ever. Not that either of us are grey or grizzled...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all! It's so good to know that others are on the journey with me. That we all pause, reflect, and sometimes sit in between "eek and yay". Usually for me, the unknown or scary is exactly where I need to go. I am fastening my seat belt...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Karen,...wishing you a very fulfilling year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Karen!!!
    I love the quote "Leap and the net will appear." I've made many leaps, usually do my yearly planning on the traditional New Years Day, but just love making vision boards, goals, lists - I love all that good stuff!
    Your work is wonderful and it would definitely make the world brighter and 'greener' to have you out there - this is your year!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always inspire me, Karen. Is that the right word? since I don't actuallly do anything! I love your blog.
    A belated Happy Birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete