inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, April 27, 2009

trying more fun, green and thrifty things today

Our family is always up for homemade gifties, and when they are made with something that has been repurposed, even better! A few years ago, Gretta used an old plastic box that playing cards had once been stored in. Inside, she glued some keys from an old computer and labeled it "control pad". The keys she selected reflect my feelings about computers..."escape" and "help"! On the inside of the lid, she wrote, "This belongs to KarenLR because she's 50 and can kick some serious butt". I think if we ever had a fire, this would be one of the things I would grab on my way out the door!
Clever Miss Lindsey made this tote bag for Gretta a while back, using an empty bird seed bag.
This afternoon, I rounded up a bunch of old birdseed bags I had stashed away and made a plastic blanket. I simply cut the bags open, trimmed them, overlapped them slightly at the edges and stitched them together with a zig zag stitch and my sewing machine's walking foot. Then I folded it up and secured it with pink velcro strips that once held organic leaf lettuce in tidy heads. It's not glamorous, but will take up very little room in the car, and will be available whenever we need a dry spot to sit on the sidelines at a softball game, or picnic. I'm also stashing these mesh bags that held lemons and grapefruit from the store. Why not take them back to the grocery store and reuse them when buying loose fruit or veggies?
Have you been thinking GREEN lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment