inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Sunday, June 21, 2009

stitched memorial


A.B.L.

Derwent Gifts

Sanctuary

My Dad

Goodbye

I made this series of five while taking the Art Quilt 101 class
with Jane Davila and Elin Waterston at
The Country Quilter. It was 2003.
When the Art Quilt Workbook was a humble bunch of pages
collected in a loose leaf notebook.
I had never worked in a series before.
I had recently lost my Dad to Alzheimer's
 and was still processing my grief.
I decided to do the series in his memory. 

(August 8, 1929-February 19, 2003)

Thank you for helping me see the sacred in 
the color of dappled leaves, the texture of moss,
 birdsong, the slant of light at the end of the day.
I miss walking with you in the church in the woods most of all.
Still missing you, Dad...


5 comments:

  1. A lump in my throat...... Let us all remember those who we have loved and lost. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a touching post.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet remembrance of your Dad. Your series of art quilts is beautiful and (without having known him myself) i bet captures your father's essence perfectly. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, Karen.
    Your wall hangings are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all, for understanding what some fabric and thread can do.

    ReplyDelete