inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

westward, ho

Here is my supper, fresh from the "snack pack" cooler. Spread out on the desk in my hotel room in Ohio. Trying to eat healthy, reduce throw-aways and slow down after driving for 7 hours.

Crossed the Hudson, the Allegheny and the Susquehanna today! And marveled at my ease compared to those in covered wagons generations ago.

Listened to NPR, some of a book on tape and munched yummy dark chocolates from our local candy maker (thanks, Liz!!!). I am going to try to get to Earlham by early afternoon tomorrow and sit in on a bit of Hannah's May Term class on the life of MLK jr. 

After supper tonight, a few laps around the parking lot, some stretching and the latest issue of Quilting Arts , which is still in its plastic sleeve!

When we travelled by car with all four young kids, from Illinois to New England, we would buy Tootsie Pops and give them to the toll attendants, just for fun. Do you have any fun "road trip" memories/traditions?


4 comments:

  1. When I was little we used to go to my nanna's house for Christmas lunch about 30 minutes drive from our house. My brother and I use to count the number of Christmas trees lit up in windows on the way home, he looked out of one side of the car, me the other- I am sure he use to cheat though as he always counted more than me!
    I enjoyed your trip and arn't you being good taking that healthy supper (I'm not mentioning the chocolates!)
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in the UK so this applies to vehicle number plates on our roads. When the journey gets a little boring we look at the letters on the car plates in the front of us and guess the names of famous people etc.GS08KLR = Gerry Springer & Karen L R. The longer you play it the funnier it gets. We do have a strange sense of humour over here !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very healthy and inspiring road food dinner! (especially the dark chocolates *g*)

    On the way to our annual summer vacation on Lake George, my sister and i used to wave hand puppets at passsing cars, or cars we passed. And we counted the number of waves we got in return. Whenever we passed a convoy of Army trucks on the way to maneuvers at Fort Drum, we'd get an astronomical number of return waves. My father wasn't so thrilled when the tractor trailer drivers would toot their air horns at us...loud enough to blow our old family car off the road!

    ReplyDelete