inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

a question and a silly wish

In 1977, I bought this book and took the next step into a quilting life...going from being fascinated by them to making them. That was back in the day when I used templates made of cardboard scraps, traced them onto fabric with a pencil and cut out the shapes with scissors! We have come a long way since then, with our rotary cutters, self healing mats and quilters's rulers. 

I'm remembering this book because one of my blog friends in the UK, Sue, has sent me an email asking some questions about quilting. She'd like to get started and asked me what book I would recommend for a beginner. (I love Sue's blog banner, it says "always busy, never bored").

Do you have a favorite beginner's quilting book that you would recommend to Sue?

And here's my silly wish. I am a busy person, too. Never bored. But sometimes I wish I could hang out with Henry all day long. He has his food (prescription and posh!) and fresh water plunked down in front of him twice a day, he migrates from porch to window, depending on what's going on outside. He naps in many cozy places and when he's feeling friendly, he'll pop up in a lap for gentle scritchy scratching. As far as I can tell, he has not a care in the world. He is brushed nearly everyday and I'd rather like to try all that for a day. 

Check out the life of the ginger cats and don estorbo if you're into cats living charmed lives. And these extra lucky ones...

So, what book would you recommend to a beginning quilter? Thanks!


9 comments:

  1. Karen,
    First, thank you for your thoughts and words of comfort on my blog yesterday. Comments really mean a lot to me as I'm hours from my family, don't speak of the situation at work, and only have a handful of friends in the hills. It can feel overwhelming.

    Second, (full disclosure, I work for the publisher) BUT...as for quilting books I do have to recommend The Quilting Answer Book.

    As for hanging out with the cat all day, I feel like that too. Today I really wanted to stay home and escape to the hammock with a new book. This was the perfect kind of day for doing so - the sun high and bright, a little cool, the bugs have subsided...it would have been wonderful to lose myself for an afternoon. Unfortunately it's the start of the busy season again at work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Quilting in No Time by Emma Hardy, or Pam and Nicky Lintott's Jelly Roll Quilts?

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. If she's a complete and total beginner I'd recommend The New Sampler Quilt by Diana Leone. It has lots of techniques, a combination of machine and hand and tells you what to do if you don't have a rotary cutter, rulers and self-healing mat. Also, Quilts, Quilts, Quilts, for the same reasons and Alex Anderson's Start to Quilt (or something like that).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks to you Karen and your Blog friends, I have taken note of all the books and this coming weekend I intend to buy one and get started on my own project. I will post as soon as I get started. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about wanting to be Henry for a day. I've actually thought the same weird thought about envying Kristy's self indulgent life!
    I don't consider myself a quilter, so no favorite books to share, but I've taken note of the books mentioned in these comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So there you have it...a few book ideas for everyone. Many thanks to you all for the suggestions!

    And, ya, some people talk about a dog's life, but I think there's a feline version out there somewhere..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen. I agree with Jane about the Diana Leone book...its earlier edition was the book that two ladies from our brand new quilting guild used to teach us brand new quilters...20 years ago! I also love the Quilts, Quilts, Quilts book. I am very fond of Marianne Fons and Liz Porter's Quilter's Complete Guide...might only be available used now, but there are sure to be plenty of copies out there.

    Everyone says they want to come back as one of my cats. They do have a great deal of physical comfort, love, and affection, but each of them does have some cares in the world...Fuzzy who was neglected so badly early in life needs to constantly reassure himself that he hasn't been abandoned (the newest twist is that he tries to climb up into my arms for a snuggle as soon as i get in the door), Louie tries to hide the fact that he worries each time i leave him, Sylvie would rather be able to get away from Gingy and also be able to climb trees and have my bed to herself, and i'm not sure exactly what bothers Gingy, but something must, as she feels the necessity of spraying all vertical objects/walls/corners in the house...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I would love to live the life of my Lucy! especially at 6.30am when my alarm goes off!
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Quilters, I now have a book list and I will post Karen when I have purchased. Sue

    ReplyDelete