inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, April 24, 2017

a month of stitching::day 23

 During our deck building weekend I noticed that my brother Doug's
 fleece jacket had a (growing) hole on one arm.
 I invited him to leave it here in Vermont 
so that I could mend it and he did.
I used a reproduction calico from my stash
because I love the way the colors worked with the jacket.
 Once I had the patch stitched,
I used an iron on interfacing to protect the inside
of the sleeve from future fraying.
(I was very careful not to melt the jacket!!!)
 This mend is tidy and will extend the useful days of this
much loved jacket.
One of my favorite shirts developed a tear that was
getting bigger each time I laundered the shirt.
I decided to do some visible mending, 
which is all the rage these days. 
Inspired by traditional Japanese "boro" mending
I decided to use that technique here.

I've blogged about mending many times, (like here). I really do love mending...making something stronger, more resilient, and helping to keep it out of landfill.  

The Patagonia clothing company claims that REPAIR IS A RADICAL ACT, and this video makes me think that their company is "collaborating with the universe".   I think Elizabeth Gilbert's words are turning out to be quite an inspiration for me as I navigate these crazy days..."the universe is looking for collaborators".

Have you been mending lately friends? How have you been collaborating with the universe?

xo

6 comments:

  1. I picked up some adorable Ecchino fabric at Quilt Con of a French bulldog wearing red glasses. I cut out a square and mended the rip on my jeans. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have seen that fabric...excellent idea to use it for mending! Well done, Lori!

      Delete
  2. I have been mending my 7 year old granddaughter's jeans. Sewed pink and orange hearts from sturdy cotton on holes in the knees.
    She was overjoyed with the result and so am I.
    Her brother's jeans always come to me for mending, as he seems to eat his knees out of the legs in no time. He loves it too, when Oma lovingly and creatively mends his clothes.
    Cheers, dear friend,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for Oma mending! It is very special indeed. xo

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the repair Karen!

    ReplyDelete